Tuesday, 28 November 2017

Rudolph in the stars with acrylics ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well. I’ve been experimenting with acrylic paints and I am so happy I have. I decided to use one of those experiments as a background on a Christmas card and here it is …

A 148mm square card
It's flat for posting which is good
It has a lovely shimmer and shine which I captured for a change lol!

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Allsorts Challenge #442 Inspired by a Christmas Carol/Song:
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Scrappy Mo’s Rudolph Day Challenge Anything Christmas Goes 
Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge Star Light Star Bright 


This year I finally jumped the hurdle with recreating Northern Lights inspired night skies so to push myself a little more I wanted to see if I could do the same with acrylic paints and the added bonus meant it was perfect to use on a Christmas card using this beautiful stag stamp. I am in love with him!! He came with Crafters Companion Inspiration magazine issue 14 and I finally got around to inking, heat embossing and colouring this great beauty this week.

I wanted to create this Northern Lights inspired night sky with acrylics in particular because I know from all of the experimenting I have done over the past year that once the acrylic paints are dry they ain’t, or rather aren’t, going anywhere lol! I used A4 Sheena Douglass stamping card because it can take multiple layers of colour. I have learnt that I need to be careful when creating these because I regularly have issues with hand pain that night or the next day or two, it’s when I curse my RA and fibro. Once I had the colour right I added some extra details with stencil paste and my Creative Embellishments Galaxy and Out of this World stencils and stamped and heat embossed detail using my Simon Says Stamp stars stamp set and white embossing powder.


When the background was finished I trimmed it to size and then used black ink on all four edges to add more depth. Now I didn’t plan to do that but at the time I could not, for the life of me, find my black acrylic paint. Of course a couple of minutes after doing this I found it. I used my heat tool to dry the ink as it does not dry naturally on top of acrylic paint – ask me how I know that lol! The blackening of the edges gives this a lovely atmospheric look and feel. I felt it was missing a little something at this point so I randomly applied a little H2O watercolour paint and I was finally happy with my background.

I stamped and heat embossed the beautiful deer stamp using white embossing powder. I watercoloured my deer with Brusho watercolours and fussy cut him out. I don’t mind fussy cutting but I do know with experience that sometimes it’s better to leave a bigger border than you planned because if I tried to cut in between some of the curly parts it would look awful so I darkened those areas and cut as close as I could. A die cut sentiment and a few gems and I was finished. This card has to be one of my favourite Christmas cards so far this year. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x











Tools
Stamp &/ Stencil:
Crafters Companion Inspiration magazine issue 14
Simon Says Stamp: SSS101640 Seeing Stars stamp set
Creative Embellishments stencils: Galazy; & Out of this World
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Sizzix Big Shot Plus die cutting machine
Crafters Companion Sara Davies Signature Range: Merry Christmas die
Miscellaneous Tools:
MISTI; heat tool; paintbrushes; water pot; paint palette; sponges; anti-static pouch; spray water bottle

Supplies
Card Paper:
Sheena Douglass white stamping card
Craft UK 145mm square Kraft card
Snippets: Sheena Douglass white stamping card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Pebeo acrylic paints: blue, dark blue, orange, pink, purple, white & yellow
Luminarte H2O Watercolours
Brusho Watercolour Crystals (for the deer)
Versafine IP: black
WOW EP: white
Embellishments:
Mini gems
Adhesives/Mediums:
Versamark IP
Collall all purpose glue
Double sided tape
Fun Foam

15 comments:

Kathleen said...

Gorgeous background and a super image, lovely colours.
Thank you for joining our 'Inspired by a Christmas Carol or song' challenge this week at Allsorts.

Kath x

Craftychris said...

What a stunning background for the beautiful deer - an absolutely gorgeous card! I hope your pain isn't too troublesome! Take care! xxxxx

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful background which is a wonderful galaxy design. I love the deer image and I think Rudolph is leading the way!

brenda said...

Such beautifully rich and vibrant colours on your background Karen and then that goregous stags head, many thanks for joining us at Allsorts challenge this week.

B x

Jenny L said...

Hi Karen,
Happy Rudolf Days.
what a very lovely card and such a super design too.
Fab colours used.
Thanks for joining the Rudolf Challenge.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

scrappymo! said...

This is a lovely, arty Christmas card, KAren. Sorry to hear you have flares from doing what you love best. I totally understand about flares...

You have captured the northern lights look of the sky and created a beautiful card.

Thanks for taking part in the November Rudolph Days Challenge.

Sara Barker said...

Karen, your starry sky looks amazing! Topping it with Rudolph, which you colored and cut brilliantly makes for a very rich looking Christmas card! Love this! Hugs!

Craftnut said...

Thanks for joining us at allsorts x

Macimbalo said...

Great use of dies! Thanks so much for sharing at Happy Little Stampers ATG w/ Dies November Challenge!

Sue said...

This is amazing Karen, I love you 'cosmic' background and the non-traditional Christmas colours. hank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts, and I hope you join us again next month. Sue xx

cuilliesocks said...

Absolutely stunning work Karen, the colours are wonderful and it's such a brilliant design, love the stag image, thanks for your visit, Kate x

Anna-Karin said...

Wow, this is a fantastic card! The Northern Lights sky is stunning, and funnily enough my son and I were discussing the Northern Lights tonight, just an hour ago. The deer looks wonderful too. You are the lucky winner of our gift voucher for the Star Light Star Bright challenge at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! Congratulations!! Please send an email to the challenge email address (you can find it in the sidebar of the blog) and make sure to include your full name so that we can get your voucher to you. Thank you for joining us in the challenge!! / Anna-Karin

Zoey Emanuela Scarpelli said...

I love love love love this card!!!! Such a lovely way to color the deer! Love it!
THank you for playing along with us over Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, we all hope to see you with us again! x Zoey


and also congrats on winning the gift voucher!!

Team Clark said...

Oh my gosh Karen! I'm so happy that you won the SSS prize!!! Woo hoo and happy shopping. :) Hugs, Autumn

Sara Barker said...

Karen, I am so excited to see your win the prize at SSS! WooHoo! Happy Shopping! Hugs and early Merry Christmas to you and yours!